Atlas VPN Reviews& Product Details
Atlas VPN is an entry-level virtual private network solution that offers excellent VPN protection. It provides both free and paid versions. It came out in the market in 2019 and currently offers its users access to 750+ servers worldwide. Security-wise, it utilizes full-disk encryption and strong 256-bit AES encryption for tunneling. WireGuard protocol support also means that it is fast and provides excellent streaming performance unblocking popular platforms such as Netflix. Other notable features include the VPN kill switch, live support, and unlimited device usage. Let us find more about it in our Atlas VPN review.
Found in these Categories
- Small Business
- Medium Business
- Large Enterprise
- Non-profit Organization
- Cloud, SaaS, Web-Based
- Mobile - Android
- Mobile - iPhone
- Mobile - iPad
- Desktop - Mac
- Desktop - Windows
- Desktop - Linux
- Desktop - Chromebook
- On-Premise - Windows
- On-Premise - Linux
Atlas VPN Pricing
Pricing Model: Subscription
- Free Trial
- Free Version
Atlas VPN Features
Features list not provided by Atlas VPN.
Atlas VPN Alternatives
- Why is using VPN software important?
- Atlas VPN – VPN service
- What is Atlas VPN software?
- Why should you use Atlas VPN?
- Atlas VPN Features
- Atlas VPN Pricing
- Alternatives to Atlas VPN
- Atlas VPN Review Conclusions
Why is using VPN software important?
It is essential to keep yourself protected when using the internet in the current day and age. VPN, aka Virtual Private Network, may seem technical for non-tech people, but it is a vital piece of software that everyone should use. VPNs are designed to protect your privacy by using an encrypted network and ensuring that all the data is routed through a secure connection. This way, you can protect your identity and access sites blocked in your region.The benefits of using VPN software are as below:
- VPN lets you protect your data from your Internet Service Prover (ISP). ISP provides you with an internet connection and has all the information about your browsing. By using VPN, you can gain data privacy from your ISP, enabling you to do private browsing.
- In addition to protecting your data from being leaked to ISP, VPNs are also effective at providing data privacy from the government. This way, you get the best possible digital privacy and internet privacy.
- VPN also gives you public Wi-Fi security. Public Wi-Fi is not secure and is prone to be hacked. You need a VPN that protects your data from being leaked to hackers exploiting Public Wi-Fi networks.
- Remote workers can protect sensitive trade information by using VPNs, providing their online privacy at work.
- VPNs are also great for accessing locked geographical content. Yes, VPNs are popular for unblocking streaming content as it spoofs your location so that you can easily gain access to the locked content. However, the streaming speed depends on the VPN server and can change drastically depending on the VPN service.
- VPN also protects your private IP address from leaking, ensuring that no malicious actor or cyber security threats can target you, giving you ultimate network security.
All these reasons, including online security, privacy, and access to blocked content, should be enough to use VPN.
Atlas VPN – VPN service
Atlas VPN is a fairly new virtual private network (VPN) service. This VPN service was founded in 2019, which makes it very new. But in the short period of three years, it can serve more than six million users. In 2021, they will become part of Nord Security.
The main aim of Atlas is to bring the whole world accessible to you – as you can guess from the name itself. With Atlas, you can securely browse the internet from desktop, mobile, and other devices.
Atlas is easy-to-use, and it is primarily focused on the mobile experience. As a user, you can try out their free version and see what they have to offer. One thing that Atlas is very good at is unblocking streaming services. So, if you are looking for a VPN to unblock streaming services such as Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix, you will enjoy what Atlas has to offer.
In terms of servers, you get access to moderate numbers of server count: 750+, spread across 30 countries; consisting of streaming and ultra-secure Privacy Pro. As for security, Atlas utilizes Chacha20-Poly130 and AES-256 advanced encryption. Additionally, you also get access to WireGuard and IPSEC/IKEv2 protocols.
Lastly, you get a friendly P2P VPN with access to WireGuard, providing excellent download speeds. In addition, you can use Atlas on unlimited devices with a subscription, which is rare in the current VPN market.
What is Atlas VPN software?
Atlas VPN is a feature-rich virtual private network that made its way to the market in 2019. With a prime focus on unblocking streaming services, you can use it to unblock the majority of the content providers worldwide. You get all the benefits of a VPN, including obtaining proper privacy protection while browsing the internet.
Atlas VPN offers a free VPN option, but its features are limited. If you decide to use the free version, you can access only three locations: USA – New York, USA – Lost Angeles, and Netherlands – Amsterdam. The other limitations include non-access to unlimited simultaneous encrypted connections and streaming-optimized servers. In addition, none of the Atlas VPN servers, freely accessible or accessible through a paid subscription, are virtual. This means all the Atlas VPN servers are dedicated hardware servers.
How many devices for the paid version?
As for the paid version, you can install Atlas VPN on unlimited devices with wide support for device types, including macOS, iOS, Windows, and Android. You can also install it on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV, giving you all-around privacy on your home network. However, if you are using Linux, you are out of luck as it currently doesn’t work on Linux-based systems.
With Atlas, you can expect to unblock big streaming sites, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and BBC iPlayer. As for protocols, you also get the freedom of choosing between WireGuard and IKEv2.
There is one big difference in how Atlas handles encrypted data. It uses fully encrypted disks to protect its servers. On the other hand, popular VPN such as NordVPN and Express VPN uses RAM-only servers that wipe data when powered off.
Atlas doesn’t collect IP addresses and doesn’t share customer data with third-party for making additional income. Instead, they collect app usage data and customer device information, including OS version and device model. The IDs are anonymous, and the user is free to reset them.
But what about when law enforcement or government asks for information via legal request? In that case, Atlas simply obliges by the request but does not have anything substantial to share with the law enforcement agency. You can go to their official site and see the current legal request made by agencies.
Privacy also depends on the location of the VPN service provider. Atlas lacks as it is located in the US legal jurisdiction. However, in 2021 it acquired b NordVPN and SurfShark. All three identities operate separately.
How to use Atlas VPN?
Using Atlas VPN is easy. The first step is to download and install Atlas VPN on your device. Atlas VPN works on all devices irrespective of their screen size and operating system. However, if you are using Linux, you are out of luck as it doesn’t support it.
Next, if you need to select the subscription model you want to go with, Atlas supports free and paid options. If you’re going to go with the free version, you need to download the respective version from Play Store, the Apple app store, and their website. Atlas free VPN is limited, and you only get access to three servers, two in the USA and one in the Netherlands.
However, if you decide to go with the paid version, you first need to buy the subscription from their official site and use the account to log in to the local client you downloaded. Once logged in, you need to select the server and enjoy your VPN. If you are streaming, then you need to select a streaming server.The steps required to use Atlas VPN include:
- Download and install Atlas VPN
- Select the free or paid subscription option
- Select a server that you want to connect to or select auto-connect
- Enjoy a secure internet connection.
How to hide IP address with Atlas VPN
You can also use Atlas VPN to hide your IP address. To achieve this, you need to follow the steps below.
- Download and set up Atlas VPN.
- Choose a server of your choice.
- Check your IP address if it has been changed or not.
There are many benefits of hiding your IP address using Atlas VPN, including:
- Your location is not revealed to anyone, and you stay anonymous
- IP address change protects you against common internet attacks, including snooping, DDoS attacks, and stalking.
- You can securely conceal your identity and access the website without revealing your true identity.
- IP address spoofing also helps you do better shopping, saving you money
Can I watch Netflix using Atlas VPN?
Yes, you can watch Netflix using Atlas VPN. Atlas VPN is a great streaming VPN service that unblocks almost all the major streaming platforms, including BBCiPlayer, YouTube, and Netflix.
Why should you use Atlas VPN?
Until now, you should have a good idea of where Atlas VPN stands. It is new but owned by Nord Securities, which can assure you that it is in the right hands. So, why should you use Atlas VPN? First, let’s list the advantages and benefits of using Atlas VPN below:
- Unblock content: With Atlas VPN, you can easily unblock content, including access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, BCC iPlayer, and so on.
- Browse anonymously: You can browse the internet anonymously using Atlas VPN. It generates a new IP address every time you connect online, giving you anonymity.
- Excellent Security: Atlas uses disk encryption to store information and uses end-to-end encrypted tunnels for data transferring.
- 4k Fast streaming: The Atlas VPN offers streaming servers for a well-optimized streaming experience.
- Unlimited devices: Atlas has no cap when it comes to devices. This means you can install it on as many devices as you like!
- WireGuard Protocol: Atlas supports WireGuard protocol which offers excellent speed and security.
- Ad Blocker: You also get Adblocker, giving you better privacy and experience.
Atlas VPN is suitable for anyone who needs a good VPN solution. However, it is best suited for those who want a cheaper VPN solution that offers good streaming servers. It doesn’t match the likes of other more established VPN solutions such as NordVPN, but you will surely get your work done with Atlas VPN.
Atlas VPN Features
Atlas VPN comes with a kill switch feature. It is an advanced feature, and not all VPNs go with it. This feature makes sure that the internet is cut off as soon as your VPN connection fails. It protects your privacy and security all the time. It is named a “kill switch” in all the apps; however, you can turn this feature on by toggling “Always-on VPN.”
Apart from providing privacy to the user, VPNs are also used for unblocking content. Atlas VPN offers great streaming performance out of the box. For example, with Atlas VPN, you can unblock the following streaming services.
- Prime Video
Thus if you are looking for a VPN for Netflix, Atlas VPN is a great pick!
Atlas VPN does support torrenting, thanks to supported protocols. Atlas VPN doesn’t have any dedicated torrent server, but it supports torrenting. The speeds are good but not ground-breaking. You can use a torrenting feature on both free and paid plans.
Protocol-wise, Atlas VPN does come with plenty of options. However, these protocols dictate how the VPN connection is created and maintained. Currently, it supports two of the most popular protocols – WireGuard and IKEv2. WireGuard is a new technology and shows great promise as it is fast and secure at the same time. As for IKEv2, it is an already established protocol. Unfortunately, Atlas VPN doesn’t come with the support of OpenVPN – an open-source protocol.
You get excellent privacy with Atlas VPN. According to their privacy documents, they do not store any user data or activities. However, to ensure the VPN works, they need to gather information related to customer devices and app usage using Ad identifiers. The users are free to reset their Ad identifiers. As for data sharing, Atlas VPN doesn’t share any information with third-party for advertisement and revenue.
Servers and Location
Atlas VPN allows you to connect to 750+ servers spread across 31 countries. However, the low number of servers can be attributed to its age. Atlas VPN is only three years old. Also, it recently got acquired by Nord Security, but both entities work separately. Another issue with Atlas VPN servers is that most servers are concentrated around Europe and North America. In contrast, other VPN service providers have more coverage across the world.
Despite the low server count, Atlas VPN offers great server quality. Currently, AtlasVPN doesn’t own the server infrastructure but rents it from already-available vendors. However, Atlas fully manages the server, which means they are fully controlled. Another difference is that the servers are not RAM-only servers, and the information is stored on hard drives but in a completely encrypted manner. In comparison, other more prominent VPN providers such as Express VPN and NordVPN utilize RAM-only servers that get rid of the stored data once restarted.
We found Atlas VPN to provide excellent speed in our speed test. With a decent internet speed connection, you can achieve download speeds of 200-250 Mbps, while the upload speed hovers around 250-290 Mbps.
The Atlas VPN’s high speeds can be attributed to WireGuard.
Other Notable Features
Atlas VPN offers tons of other features that are worth nothing. Let’s list them below:
- Tracker Blocker
- Split tunneling
- Malware protection
- Act as Ad-blocking software
- Private DNS
- Data Breach Monitor
- Solid no-logs policy
- AES-256 encryption
- Change your location
- Network Kill Switch
- Best location detector
- Supersonic web surfic
- Unblock apps and websites
- Unlimited device usage
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
Atlas VPN Pricing
Atlas offers one of the cheapest VPN solutions, starting at $1.99 per month. However, you need to commit long-term by buying their three-year plan to get that pricing. Another cheaper way is to get a 1-year plan where you need to pay $3.29 per month. If you opt for a one-month plan, it will cost you $10.99.All the plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. The plans will cost more when renewed and not at a discounted price.
See all Features
Alternatives to Atlas VPN
Atlas is a good VPN provider, but it does have some weaknesses. First of all, it is not an established VPN solution provider. With three years of service, it is still fairly new to the market, which can doubt its usability to many users. Its less time in the market also means fewer servers out there. So, what are your options? Well, you can give the below-mentioned Atlas VPN alternatives a try.
NordVPN is an excellent VPN solutions provider. It is an all-around VPN service where you get amazing privacy-related features and access to more than 5500 NordVPN servers spread across 60 counties! It also has good streaming support, and recently they have also added a new feature that protects you against malware, trackers, and ads. NordVPN also follows a Strict no-logs policy which means that it doesn’t collect or share any private data. Apart from that, some of the key NordVPN features include:
- Multi-device support
- Obfuscated servers
- Multi-factor authentication
- Split tunneling
- Dedicated IP
- Private DNS
- Support 24/7
NordVPN pricing starts at $3.29 per month if you go for their 2-year plan.
ProtonVPN is another leading VPN provider that offers its users excellent security, privacy, and freedom. Unlike NordVPN, it does offer a free VPN, which gives access to good VPN features but is limited when it comes to features in the full version. Proton VPN is fairly easy to use. In terms of speed, it boasts a 10 Gbps server network that gives you the best possible VPN and streaming experience when combined with VPN Accelerator technologies. Additionally, it also comes with multi-platform support, and you can install it on your routers, smartphones, PCs, and Macs. Other additional ProtonVPN features include:
- Unlimited bandwidth
- P2P support
- Up to 10 devices support
- Unblock content
- 10 GBIT servers
- 1734 servers spread across 63 countries
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ProtonMail paid plan starts from $4 per month for the yearly plan.
ExpressVPN is the most established VPN provider and a great alternative to Atlas VPN. It hosts a powerful and diverse server network with servers across 94 countries. The device support is also optimal with support for routers, computers, phones, and tablets. Some of the notable ExpressVPN features include the following:
- Advanced leak protection
- Superior connection reliability
- 160 server locations spread across 94 countries.
- It supports more than 16 other languages
- Uses military-grade 256-bit AES encryption
- Kill Switch drops your internet connection if VPN connections fail for some reason
- 24/7 customer support
ExpressVPN is costly compared to Atlas VPN, as their minimum price plan is $8.32 per month if you get their yearly program.
If you are looking for a VPN that lets you use VPN on all your household devices at a reasonable price, then Surfshark is for you. With the price starting at just $2.49 per month, it is one of the cheapest VPN providers (Atlas VPN is still cheaper than SurfShark). With Surfshark, you get the following benefits:
- Privately browse the internet
- Block ads
- Hide location
- Keep searches private
- Wi-Fi protection
- Access content easily from anywhere in the world
CyberGhost VPN lets you anonymously browse the internet without leaving any traces. It is one of the leading VPN protocols that use high-standard encryption, protecting your browsing from third-party hackers. Currently, you can use CyberGhost VPN on up to seven devices which is plenty. However, if you have more device requirements, it is better to go with Atlas or Surfshark, as they support unlimited device support. CyberGhost is also easy to use and set up. As for paid plans, the price starts at $2.29 per month if you lock in for three years. The key features of CyberGhost VPN include:
- 7800+ servers
- Up to seven device protection
- 24/7 live support
- Excellent torrenting support
- WireGuard support
- Smart rules
Atlas VPN vs. NordVPN
This section will take a closer look at Atlas VPN vs. NordVPN. Before we start, you need to know that Atlas VPN became part of Nord Security in 2021 — the same company that owns NordVPN. So, if you use NordVPN or Altas VPN, you are using the product under the same umbrella company. However, both products operate separately and have their cons and pros. So, let’s compare them below.
- Speed: NordVPN offers better speed thanks to its NordLynx tunneling protocol. It is a proprietary solution and hence faster than other standard protocols, including WireGuard. AtlasVPN is also good as it supports modern and popular WireGuard tunneling protocol.
- Servers: As for servers, NordVPN wins! Right now, NordVPN supports more than 5200+ servers worldwide, whereas Atlas VPN only supports around 750+ servers. This is because of how new Atlas VPN is — 3 years compared to more than 10+ years for NordVPN.
- Pricing: As for pricing, Atlas VPN wins by a large margin, offering prices as slow as $1.99 per month if you opt for their three-year plan. As for NordVPN, their pricing starts at $3.49 per month for a two-year plan.
- Security: Security-wise, NordVPN is on the stronger side. However, that doesn’t mean Atlas VPN is bad or worse. NordVPN offers an additional Nordlynx protocol along with IKEv2 and OpenVPN. Atlas VPN, on the other hand, supports WireGuard and IKEv2. NordVPN also supports more security features, including Onion over VPN, Double VPN, CyberSec, Obfuscated, and SOCKS5 proxy.
- Torrenting: Torrenting is supported by both NordVPN and AtlasVPN. However, NordVPN has its P2P server, whereas Torrenting is supported on Atlas VPN servers.
Atlas VPN vs. ProtonVPN
ProtonVPN is also a great contender for the best VPN solutions. It offers a free version, whereas Atlas VPN doesn’t.
- Speed: Speed-wise, both AtlasVPN and ProtonVPN are good, but the latter does offer better speed thanks to its established server network.
- Servers: Proton offers access to 1734 servers across 63 countries with 2029 Gbps capacity. On the other hand, Atlas VPN gives you access to 750+ servers.
- Pricing: Atlas VPN offers better pricing with pricing starting at $1.99 per month if you go for their three-year plan. ProtonVPN is slightly costly and will cost you $4 per month with the yearly plan.
- Security: ProtonVPN utilizes its Secure Core architecture to ensure excellent security and protection against network-based attacks. It also offers Adblocker, which improves users’ privacy. As for encryption, they use military-grade AES-256, and for protocols, ProtonVPN supports WireGuard, IKEv2, and OpenVPN. Additionally, the latter does full disk encryption to protect the data and uses alternative IDs for protecting users’ privacy. Atlas VPN also offers good security features with support for IKv2 and WireGuard.
- Torrenting: ProtonVPN doesn’t support torrenting as it lacks L2TP/IPSec and PPTP support. On the other hand, Atlas VPN supports torrenting on all its servers.
Atlas VPN vs. ExpressVPN
Our last comparison consists of Atlas VPN and ExpressVPN. ExpressVPN is another popular VPN service provider in the same league as SurfShark, NordVPN, and ProtonVPN. The key differences between Atlas VPN and ExpressVPN include:
- Speed: As ExpessVPN is a top-tier VPN provider, it has better server resources and offers better speed than Atlas VPN.
- Servers: ExpressVPN offers access to 3000 servers spread across 160 VPN server locations. Atlas VPN, on the other hand, offers access to 750+ servers.
- Pricing: ExpressVPN is one of the costliest VPNs, with their cheapest plan starting at $8.32 per month for the yearly plan. Atlas VPN pricing plan starts at $1.99 per month for a three-year plan.
- Security: Atlas VPN utilizes full-disk encryption and support for WireGuard and IKEv2 protocols. ExpressVPN does offer better security features, including a kill switch, private DNS, AES-256 encryption, and split tunneling.
- Torrenting: Both ExpressVPN and Atlas VPN supports torrenting.
Atlas VPN Review Conclusions
Despite being new, Atlas VPN provides excellent value for its users. It is not as big as other established VPN players such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN, but it does provide value if you know what you are looking for. In addition, it offers tons of benefits and advantages for just $1.99 per month.
So, if you are just starting to use VPN, Atlas VPN provides a great solution. It comes with both free and paid versions with excellent encryption and the ability to unblock popular streaming services such as Netflix. On top of that, it supports torrenting, where you can easily download P2P content at a decent speed. WireGuard addition also makes it perform better in most scenarios.
Is Atlas VPN safe?
Yes, Atlas VPN is safe as it utilizes strong AES-256 encryption for tunneling and server encryption. It also comes with a kill switch that improves your privacy.